15 May 2017
Wisdomjobs.com, one of India’s leading end to end online recruitment and career solutions portals, today released a survey on Hiring Freshers: Challenges Faced by Recruiters. The survey, conducted across 10 cities with 850 recruiters from 10 industries/sectors, understands the challenges recruiters address while hiring freshers. The survey also takes a look at the skills and qualities that recruiters are looking for, in freshers.
With freshers making up the major chunk of annual hiring for most mid and large sized organizations, recruiters and companies invest a lot of time and effort in ensuring that they find the right talent. While recruiting freshers offers the most cost-effective means of hiring entry-level talent, hiring them brings its own set of challenges for hiring managers
Mr. Ajay Kolla, Founder & CEO, Wisdomjobs.com said, “Be it campus hiring or large-scale walk-in drives, recruiters and companies grapple with several problems that are unique to fresher recruitment. From sketchy resumes and insufficient practical exposure to unrealistic expectations about the job and attitudinal issues, recruiters feel are some of the problems which companies deal with as they try to onboard fresher talent.”
Inability to create quality resumes
Freshers lack the requisite experience and exposure when it comes to creating an impact upfront with their resumes. Consequently, recruiters have to sift through several incomplete and inaccurate resumes when they are hiring freshers. Consequentially, resume-related hurdles are the most commonly cited issue by recruiters.
- 62% of the surveyed recruiters said that they regularly come across embellished resumes.
- 52% of those said that falsified educational qualifications/ fake academic degrees was the major embellishment. 24% said that fake projects and internships were the biggest falsehood while 20% also mentioned non-existent colleges as a common lie in fresher resumes.
- 18 % of the recruiters surveyed mentioned erroneous and copied resumes as a common occurrence.
- 35% also mentioned vague or unclear information in fresher resumes as a problem.
- With regard to the key challenges in handling fresher resumes, nearly 65% of recruiters said that gauging ability is a major challenge, 43% mentioned ascertaining authenticity of information, and 30% said quality of resumes is the biggest challenge.
Beyond Aptitude: Attitudinal Issues
Since freshers enter their workplaces directly from their academic environments, quite often, the transition is not smooth or easy. From lack of awareness regarding workplace etiquette to unrealistic expectations regarding their roles and from lack of exposure to a collaborative environment to inability to meet deadlines, there are many reasons why several freshers find it tough to adapt to the demands of their workplaces.