24 March 2017
In exercise of the powers conferred by Section 65 of the Motor Vehicles Act, 1988 (Central Act 59 of 1988) and all other powers enabling him in this behalf, the Administrator, Union Territory, Chandigarh made the following rules further to amend the Chandigarh Motor Vehicles Rules, 1990:
- These rules may be called Chandigarh Motor Vehicles (Amendment) Rules, 2017.
- In the Chandigarh Motor Vehicles Rules, 1990 (hereinafter referred to as the said rules) rule 47 A shall be substituted namely:-
“47 A. Fee for the assignment of Registration Mark of Choice—–
- In the case of a non-transport four wheeled vehicles, the assignment of a registration mark, as specified in column 1 of the Table given in Schedule VI, in any of the available series of registration marks shall be made by auction only on payment of additional fee as bid by the highest bidder.
- The allotment of such registration marks shall be made by Registering and Licensing Authority, UT, Chandigarh or any other officer authorized on his behalf by Secretary (Transport), Chandigarh Administration.
- The allotment of such registration marks, as may be available in respect of four wheeled non-transport vehicles shall be made by open bidding/auctioning/e-auction to be done on fortnightly basis or at the start of a new series. The reserve price for the purpose of auction/e-auction for respective number shall be as per listed registration marks in Schedule VI of the rules. The applicant will indicate their choice of registration mark in advance so that the availability of such registration marks can be checked and blocked in the system for open auction. The choice registration mark which remains unutilized during auction/e-auction can be allotted on first come first serve basis, if it is decided by Registering and Licensing Authority that no further auction from the same series is to be held.
Provided that if the owner of motor vehicles holding any of the number, specified in the Sixth Schedule from any previous series, wants to retain that number for this new motor vehicle, he shall be charged half of the fee, fixed for that number.
- Fee in respect of preferential number paid once shall on no account be refunded.
- IV) The allotment of such registration mark shall be valid only for ninety days of its issue. In case, the allottee fails to register the vehicle within ninety days, the same can be re-issued by the Transport department to any other person through bidding process and the fee paid by the initial allottee shall be forfeited.
- V) The official vehicles owned by Chandigarh Administration and its undertaking and Central Government will be exempted from the provisions of this rule and no additional fees, or reserve fee shall be charged for allotment of such registration marks.
- VI) The dignitaries/officers in Chandigarh Motor Vehicle Rules, shall be eligible for allotment of such registration marks for the vehicle to be registered in their own (or spouse’s) name without payment of any additional fee limited to only two registration mark during their service tenure. However, the sale/transfer of ownership of a vehicle bearing such a registration mark to a non-eligible person, within one year of its initial registration, shall be allowed only after payment of the reserve price.