17 November 2019
You need to watch the fat of your chubby child as childhood obesity leads to an increased risk of diabetes in youthful years thereby causing multiple problems.
Dr Amit Garg, Chief Consultant, Bariatric & Metabolic Surgery, Fortis Hospital, Mohali said while interacting with media persons, here today at patiala on causes, prevention and treatment of diabetes.
He said that diabetes and obesity is catching the people young in Punjab. A national level nutrition survey has revealed that almost one-eighth of Punjab’s youngsters are suffering from the two ailments.
Dr. Amit is the first one in North India to perform Loop duodenojejunal bypass with sleeve gastrectomy for Type 2 diabetes. He has more than 1000 surgeries and has many international publications to his credit.
Speaking of first line treatment for type 2 diabetes he said that it includes losing excess weight, eating a healthful diet, engaging in regular exercise and taking requisite medications. If these drugs don’t work, a person needs to take insulin. Often these traditional treatments for diabetes do not work and patients run the risks of long term complications. Even with good medical control of diabetes, some patients still develop cardiovascular complications, diabetic foot, neuropathy and nephropathy, retinopathy and other complications.
Sharing new line of treatment for patient suffering from Type 2 Diabetes he said that metabolic surgery comes as most effective solution to the problem.
According to the recent international guidelines metabolic surgery is recommended as first line of treatment for Type 2 Diabetes in patients with body mass index of more than 37.5Kg/m2 aimed at bringing it to a point where one has normal blood sugar levels and does not need diabetes medication.
Answering the query on the ways metabolic surgery causes diabetes remission, Dr Amit Garg shared, “After Metabolic surgery, remission is observed in the days to weeks before any substantial weight loss has occurred. Metabolic surgery cures Type 2 diabetes by bringing calorie restrictions and hormonal changes. These gastro intestinal hormonal changes cause control of diabetes within few days of the surgery.
“Increasing evidence shows that metabolic surgery can help reduce a person’s risk for a number of serious diseases like diabetes, hypertension, heart disease, arthritis and cancer,” notes Dr Amt Garg.
Metabolic surgery is an ideal approach aimed at treating diabetes in non obese patients too.
Dr Garg also added, “All surgeries are performed laparoscopically, with small incisions that are closed with only a few stitches, resulting in fewer complications and a much quicker recovery time for patients.” The health and quality of life benefits these patients receive from Metabolic surgery and other weight loss methods are tremendous as patients become more mobile, feel better about themselves, have less depression and have better family, social and work lives.
Dr Amit Garg also shared testimonials of some of his patients who have undergone metabolic surgery for treatment of diabetes.
- Mrs Shinder Pal Kaur who had diabetes, hypertension, high cholesterol, osteoarthritis and sleep apnea Immediately after surgery, her blood sugar levels came to normal. Presently all her health issues are resolved and she is not taking any medicines.
- Mrs Poonam Singh, 40 yr old Choreographer and video director from Punjabi Film Industry was suffering from diabetes though she was not morbid obese. Post Metabolic Surgery, she if off all diabetes medicines and free from diabetes.
- Dr Sanjeev Mittal, MD Medicine, Moga who underwent metabolic surgery in 2014 at Fortis Hospital, Mohali, is free from diabetes till date.
- Manoj Grover from Delhi, 170 Kgs had a heart bypass few years back with controlled diabetes, hypertension and sleep apnea. First day post metabolic surgery, he was off insulin and now his other medical problems are also resolved.
- Harsh Vardhan Lal from Bhubaneswar also underwent metabolic surgery for diabetes is now have normal blood sugar without insulin or other diabetes medicine.
- Mr Vinod Bansal, Journalist from Bathinda who also underwent metabolic surgery few years back not only lost excess weight but his blood pressure and sugar levels are normal without any insulin or medicines.
- Harinder Pal Grewal from Canada not only got freedom from diabetes but with weight loss is not leading an active life.
Although the genes you inherit may influence the development of type 2 diabetes, they take a back seat to behavioral and lifestyle factors.
- Control your weight: Losing seven to 10 per cent of your current weight can cut your chances of developing type 2 diabetes in half.
- Get moving and turn off the television: Walking briskly for a half hour every day reduces the risk of developing type 2 diabetes by 30 per cent, according to a study.
- Tune up your diet: Choose whole grains and whole grain products over highly processed carbohydrates.
Skip the sugary drinks, and choose water, coffee, or tea instead. Limit red meat and avoid processed meat; choose nuts, whole grains, poultry, or fish instead.
- If you smoke, try to quit: Smokers are roughly 50 percent more likely to develop diabetes than nonsmokers, and heavy smokers have an even higher risk.