22 April 2017
As many as 930 students were awarded prizes for meritorious performance in academics, sports and extra-curricular activities on the Annual Prize Distribution Function of GGDSD College here today.
A total of 455 prizes were awarded for Academic Excellence in Arts, Science and Commerce stream at undergraduate and postgraduate levels while 216 and 259 students were honoured for excellence in extra-curricular and sports activities respectively.
Of these, 88 were awarded Roll of Honour and 102 were awarded College Colour in academics, sports and extracurricular activities. Besides these meritorious students, ten members of the college faculty were honoured and awarded cash prizes for completing their Doctorate degrees.
Addressing the students, Prof Paramjit S. Jaswal, Vice- Chancellor, Rajiv Gandhi National University of Law, Patiala said, “
College Principal, Dr Bhushan Kumar Sharma read the College Annual Report for the session 2016-17. While sharing the progress made during the year, Dr. Bhushan said, “SD College has been conferred with A+ grade for its academic excellence and outstanding achievements by the National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC). The NAAC team, during the visit for the third cycle of institutional assessment, observed that the college has the finest ICT-enabled infrastructure for teaching and learning in the region. The complete automation, paper-free campus and high demand ratio for all courses are among its strengths.”
Dr Bhushan added “Our college has also been ranked 41st by National Institutional Ranking Framework (NIRF) conducted by the Ministry of Human Resource Development, Government of India. We have also made it to the list of best colleges in the country as per the India Today Nielsen Survey with 1st and 2nd rank in North India (excluding NCR) and 29th, 12th , 30th and 32rd at All India Level in Commerce, BBA, Science and Arts stream respectively. In the Panjab University results of 2016, the college bagged 118 merit positions. In Sports, our students won 164 gold, 154 silver and 221 bronze medals. We also won the overall trophy in Zonal Youth Festival, Panjab University, for the third time in a row.”
Mr. Upkar Krishan Sharma, President, G.G.D.S.D College Society, in his address appreciated the dedicated efforts of the principal, faculty and students in bringing laurels to the college.
- 455 prizes awarded for academic excellence in arts, science and commerce stream at UG and PG levels.
- 216 prizes given for excellence in extra-curricular activities.
- 24 students awarded for Roll of Honour in academics and extra-curricular activities.
- 64 students awarded the Roll of Honour in sports for their achievements at inter university, state and national level championships.
- 50 students awarded the College Colour in sports and 52 in extra-curricular activities.
- 273 students given Certificate of Distinction in academics, 71 in extra-curricular activities and 45 in sports.
- 170 Certificate of Merit were given to students in academics and 81 in extracurricular and 100 in sports activities respectively.